Title & Author: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #1
Publisher: Harper, 338 pages
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopia
SYNOPSIS: (According to my husband, who has NOT read the book — see how well he listens to my bookish ramblings)
Crazy girl with the touch of death is locked up by the government forever. In jail the love triangle forms while she tries to escape. Who’s team will you be on? Team Warner or Team Adam!?
BOOK ROCK BETTY BREAK DOWN:
- THE KISSING – There is a ridiculous amount of kissing in this book. One word: SHOWER! Mafi is the champion of inducing hardcore tingling to the point that you feel all hot and bothered….. only to abruptly stop and laugh in your face! Every time things start heating up, something insane happens! Then again, that’s what makes it so good! It reminded me of being in high school… making out downstairs with the possibility of my parents walking in at any moment made it all the more exciting! HIGH RISK, HIGH FUN.
- THE SWOONING - I, Book Rock Betty take you Adam Kent to be my husband. NOT EVEN KIDDING. This guy is INSANELY HOT. He has tattoos! He’s comforting, protective, strong, emotional…did I mention he has tattoos??! Swooning is an understatement.
- THE SWAGGER – This book is close to perfect. Mafi didn’t have to win me over– I was 100% committed by the time I finished the first sentence. The book is intense, the character development is strong and I could easily visualize it all. Mafi’s prose was a bit excessive at times, but I appreciated it because it played on the fact that Juliette has been locked up alone for so long. I didn’t get bored and couldn’t put the book down. There wasn’t a single moment that left me thinking… ”okay, get on with it…”. I also loved the crossed out words and having access to Juliette’s thoughts.
- THE OH SNAP! - 1. Juliette can kill people JUST BY TOUCHING THEM!! But… OH SNAP.. some people are immune to her touch! 2. She is a badass with a gun in her hand! 3. She is keeping a BIG secret from Adam. 4. The Reestablishment wants to use Juliette as a weapon in the war! 5. There are others out there with crazy powers.
- THE UMMM WHAT?? - Juliette enjoys a ‘moment’ with someone that is NOT Adam and this really makes me angry.
- THE ROCK: An entire playlist for Adam
This was one of the first books that got me hooked on YA literature. I had always heard that “teen books” were poorly written. Anyone that says that should wash their mouth out with soap and be forced to read this. Their minds will be blown and they will become YA book addicts for sure. Shatter Me has everything I look for in a great book— passion, suspense, intensity, and a REALLY HOT GUY. It left me wanting more…… immediately! (No problem since Unravel Me was just released!!)